About the boot
- Upper: Full-grain oiled leather.
- Inner sole: Nylon-covered molded polyurethane.
- Outsole: Vibram® lugged rubber and cork.
- Durable, waterproof oiled-leather upper gains more character with every wear.
- Munson last and premium Goodyear welted construction for exceptional support and stability.
- Wick-away front lining, suede rear to avoid slippage.
- Molded sock insert.
- Vibram rubber and cork compound outsole is oil-resistant and doesn’t mark floors.
- Can be resoled.
- Made in the USA, components the USA and imported.
About the bootmaker.
WHERE THE LEGACY BEGAN
It all started in a small factory on River Street in downtown Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin in 1901. Chippewa Boots continues the tradition today, supplying top-quality rugged boots and shoes for every purpose. Built to honor the guts and determination of the loggers and engineers who paved the way, built the roads, and constructed our buildings, Chippewa is more than just a pair of boots. Every pair of Chippewa Boots is built with uncompromising quality and standard, to be the finest made, most reliable, authentic and rich in heritage luxuries.
THE BEST. BY FAR.
To this day, Chippewa Boots have remained uncompromising in their quality; representing integrity, heritage, and performance by preserving a high-quality, authentic product made with the finest materials. As one of the oldest outdoor footwear brands in the world, Chippewa Boots will continue to provide overachievers everywhere with authentic and dependable classic high-quality footwear made to withstand countless adventures for years to come.
About the History of the Katahdin Iron Works.
Today, the skeletons of a blast furnace and charcoal kiln stand silent, lone remnants of the Katahdin Iron Works. In the past, these structures pulsed with activity as part of Maine’s only nineteenth-century iron works operation. Here the fires of the blast furnace flames non-stop for as long as a year at a time, glowing against the night sky. Smoke poured from this charcoal kiln and many others like it. Mule, oxen or horse-drawn wagons rattled by constantly carrying ore, pig iron or wood.
Such sights and sounds must have seemed out of place in the Maine wilderness. Yet it was the wilderness, with its ready supplies of iron ore, fuelwood and water power that brought the ironworks industry to this site.
Katahdin Iron Works operated here for a total of about 25 years between 1843 and 1890. Although isolated, it was tied closely to outside markets and technological advances in the iron industry. Its beginnings, for example, paralleled a growing demand for iron farm tools, machinery, and railroad car wheels. In the end, the ironworks failed when huge mill in Pennsylvania brought the nation’s new age of steel.
The heart of the Katahdin Iron Works was its blast furnace where intense heat separated iron from other materials in the ore. Workers pouted ore, limestone flux and charcoal into the top of the furnace. The charcoal was then ignited from the bottom and the mixture was heated to high temperatures by a blast of air circulated through the base of the furnace.
As the iron melted, it dripped into a crucible, which held about two tons of liquid. When the crucible was filled, workers broke a clay plug in the tap hole. The liquid ran down a long trench onto the sand floor of the casting room and flowed into shorter trenches. Here, the molten iron cooled into pig iron ingots, each weighing about 80 pounds. In the 1880’s when production was at a high, 18-20 tons of pig iron were produced daily.
Katahdin Ironworks once had 16 charcoal kilns like the one remaining today. These kilns each burned 50 cords of wood (which took 6 days to burn and 10 days to cool) at a time and produced charcoal vital in fueling the blast furnace. Cutting and hauling wood to burn in these kilns was a major activity and employed hundreds of men. One winter, when the ironworks was at the height of its operation, 400 men, using 200 horses and oxen, cut and hauled 20,000 cords of wood, a year’s supply for the kilns.
From the first firing of the blast furnace in 1844 Katahdin Iron Works had to cope with its remote location and problems in smelting the local iron sulfide ore. Several different owners saw KIW through expansion and lean times. It survived destructive fires and a railroad was built to lower transportation costs. But the iron works which remained a relatively small scale, inefficiently operation, was finally closed due to outside competition. In March 1890, the Piscataquis Observer reported the end of this fascinating and unique chapter in Maine’s history.
The people who opened the Katahdin Iron Works in 1843 built an iron works, town, and roads in this remote location. By 1884, during the height of the KIW operation, the village had grown to include the homes of 200 workers. The 1880’s also marked the beginning of the summer resort business here. Local springs, rich in iron, sulfur and other minerals, were widely advertised as health-giving and the area’s scenery, outdoor sports offerings, and Silver Lake Hotel became well-known.
Many townspeople moved away when the iron works and a later spool mill closed. The hotel burned in 1913. In 1927, the General Chemical Company leased Katahdin Iron Works land as a reserve source of the sulfur contained in the iron sulfide ore. General Chemical finally purchased the land in 1952 but has not yet undertaken mining operations.
General Chemical Company donated the land containing the blast furnace and one remaining charcoal kiln to the Maine Bureau of Parks and Recreation. Katahdin Iron Works was first operated as a historic site in 1965. Extensive restoration was done on the furnace and kiln in 1966.
To reach Katahdin Iron Words, take Route 11 to Brownville Junction. Drive five miles north of Brownville Junction on Route 11 and turn left at the sign for Katahdin Iron Works State Historic Site. Katahdin Iron Works is located about six miles further on this gravel road.
Beautiful scenery and numerous recreational opportunities surround Katahdin Iron Works. Among the most well-known is Gulf Hagas, a gorge 3.5 miles long through slate bedrock, Gulf Hagas is a National Natural Landmark and part of the Appalachian Trail. Nearby, the Maine Chapter of the Nature Conservancy protects 35 wooded acres of some of Maine’s oldest white pines. Known as The Hermitage, this preserve is also a National Natural Landmark.
The Maine Bureau of Parks and Recreation operates two camping parks in the area. Peaks-Kenny State Park, on the shore of Sebec Lake, is located at the end of Route 153, about six miles from Dover-Foxcroft. Lily Bay State Park is located about 8 miles north of Greenville on the east shore of Moosehead Lake.